Today, there are several different types of natural stone used in residential and commercial applications. Their uses generally vary and would include flooring, countertops, wall covering, fireplaces and exterior facades.
It is usually a common thing for people to refer to any polished stone finish as marble, however, there is a strong possibility that they could be looking at a different type of stone, since marble is not suitable for certain applications. The most common residential uses of marble today are for window sills, fireplaces hearths, decorative foyers and bathroom floors. Other bathroom applications also include wall covering, back splashes, tub decks and showers.
Tumbled Marble Tiles Are Popular These Days
Some tiles are manufactured and processed for a finished look, and these are known as tumbled marble. The process actually involves tumbling the tiles with sand inside a large drum. After a period of time, the corners of the tiles become rounded and the edges slightly chipped, resulting in a well-worn, antiqued appearance.
The popularity of tumbled marble these days has increased dramatically, and this is especially true regarding its use for bathroom countertops and back splashes. With such a wide variety of shapes, colors, sizes and designs, tumbled marble can be used exclusively or to accent other types of tile. The number of stylish designs and touches that can be created with its sculptured trim, decorative medallions or mosaic border patterns is virtually limitless.
Marble tiles are famous for providing a cool walking surface, especially for the sections of the house that are hot and humid, since these types of tiles are able to retain the cold temperature of its surroundings. In addition, these types of tiles do not need as much cleaning, since it for one, is resistant to any moisture, and it possesses a natural shine, which is why you do not need to wax it quite as often.
The different patterns and designs found in marble appear as detailed, vein-like virulets, that are unique and are never the same on two marble tiles. Each design or pattern differ and vary from tile to tile. Each tile can also be used as subtle shading within an interior due to its muted, earthy appeal, which is preferred by home decor experts for decorative purposes.
Implementing major regular cleaning and maintenance work on your floor will help a lot in mitigating, and sometimes eliminating any major problems with your tiles.
- Avoid using polished marble in high traffic areas
- Placing non-slip mats or rugs at the entrance minimizes soiling from dirt on shoes
- Use honed marble in living and dining rooms- it is more resistant to scratches
- Quickly wipe-off anything that spills on marble immediately
- Use coasters under glasses or bottles, to prevent unnecessary spills
- Use mats or trivets to place hot items on marble
- Implement a daily and periodic cleaning routine
- Utilize clean mops and brooms when polishing the floors
- Old vacuum cleaners will scratch your marble - avoid using them
- Change mopping water frequently during cleaning
- Always rinse the tiles using clean, warm water
Welcome to post your comments now!